The South Carolina Honors College offers funding for undergraduate research in order to promote the intellectual growth of our students and to encourage excellence in scholarship.
From arts to sciences, business to engineering, we urge students to pursue research in all disciplines.
Over the course of their four years in the Honors College, students can apply for a total $4,500 in SCHC research funding. This includes SURF, Exploration, and Senior Thesis funding, but does not include SCHC travel funding. This funding may go towards a student stipend. Students should note, however, that SURF and Exploration funds cannot be used to support senior thesis research while a student is enrolled in SCHC 499 or another senior thesis class. Projects supported by undergraduate research funds may later be developed into a senior thesis, but students seeking financial support during the senior thesis process should apply for a senior thesis grant.
The following three programs offer funding opportunities for undergraduate research:
- Exploration Scholars Program for students in arts, music, humanities, journalism, or any other field dealing with more qualitative or exploratory scholarship methods. Business, law, public health, social work, education and other currently under-represented fields for undergraduate scholarship may also apply under this program.
- Science Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program for students in science, engineering, mathematics or related fields.
- Senior Thesis Grant funding for extraordinary equipment and supplies for senior thesis. Please see senior thesis grant description.
- Scholarly Research Travel Support Program to provide Honors College students funding for research related travel.
Spring Application Deadline: April 25, 2014
REQUIRED Application Workshop
Three workshops are held prior to each deadline. Attendance of ONE workshop is required before applying for a SURF or Exploration grant. These workshops are for both SURF and Exploration applicants.
There is NO registration required.
Each workshop will last approximately 30 to 45 minutes.
If you are unable to attend any of the workshops due to class conflicts, please contact Dr. Alexander at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tuesday, April 15, 2014, 4:15 p.m. (Gressette Room)
- Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 4:30 p.m. (Gressette Room)
- Friday, April 18, 2014, 12:00 p.m. (Gressette Room)
After you have attended one of the research workshops, you are required to meet with Dr. Alexander before you will be allowed to submit your application.
To make an appointment, please contact:
Susan Alexander, Ph.D.
Director Undergraduate Research