Students may transfer into the Honors College from within the University of South Carolina or from other colleges and universities. Admission for transfer to the Honors College is very competitive and the number of applications approved is based on the number of vacancies in the College.
Students who have completed no more than 45 credit hours while enrolled at an institution of higher education and have a minimum 3.6 GPA in all college work attempted may apply for transfer admission to the Honors College. The 45 credit hour limit does not include AP and/or IB credit hours or hours earned for college courses taken while enrolled in high school.
There are two transfer deadlines during the year. Students who are in their first year of college should apply by the April 15 transfer deadline and would enter the college the following Fall semester. Student who are completing the first semester of their sophomore year should apply by the December 1 transfer deadline and would enter the college the following Spring semester. In brief if you are freshman, you should apply in April; if you are a sophomore, you should apply in December.
All students interested in transferring into the Honors College, whether from another college or university, from within the USC system, or as an enrolled USC-Columbia student, will need to complete the Honors College application for transfer admission. Non-USC students will also need to apply for university admission through the USC-Columbia Admissions Office. Students in the USC system, but not on the Columbia campus, will need to complete a Change of Campus form available through Admissions.
General guidelines for consideration as a transfer applicant are as follows:
- Minimum of a 3.6 GPA on a 4.0 scale on all college work attempted.
- Submission of two letters of reference from professors.
- Application including a written essay. (See the application form for essay topics and guidelines.)
- Transcript of college work (staff will get this directly from the registrar for transfers within the USC system).
- A reasonable chance of graduating with “Honors from the South Carolina Honors College.” What this means is that it is reasonable to expect that you will be able to complete the requirements for graduation with honors including the senior thesis. Graduation with honors requires 45 Honors College credit hours. Please see our online handbook (find the 2011-2014 Handbook here) for a breakdown or for more information.
Note that a student admitted to the Honors College as a new freshman who declined admission for any reason may enter the Honors College during a subsequent semester--up to one year after the student would have originally enrolled--without submitting a further application. The student accepting the offer of admission in these cases must have maintained a 3.5 GPA in all college course work. A transcript confirming the GPA should be sent directly to the South Carolina Honors College. If you are a student in this situation please contact the honors college.
Frequently Asked Questions
We recommend that you review our list of FAQs for helpful information regarding everything from opportunities in the honors college, our expectations for transfers, your eligibility, the application itself, and additional questions. Please click here to see answers to the most common transfer questions.
- The deadline for 1st year students to apply for transfer entry into the Honors College for the fall semester is April 15. All applications will be reviewed as a group, with no preference given to applications received early.
- The deadline for sophomores to apply for transfer entry into the Honors College for the spring semester is December 1.
- Should either of these dates fall on a weekend the deadline is the first Monday following these dates.
- Complete the Honors College application (available here). The application requires two letters of recommendation from faculty members. All materials should be mailed or hand-delivered to the address noted on the application.
- If you are applying from outside the University of South Carolina system, please also complete the general undergraduate application. Please note that deadlines for the general admissions application differ from the Honors College application.
- If you are applying from within the USC system, but not from the Columbia campus, please fill out a Change of Campus form.
Questions regarding transfer admission into the Honors College can often be answered by reviewing our Frequently Asked Questions page. Any additional inquiries should be directed to Elise Porter, Recruiting Coordinator, at email@example.com.