The College of Information and Communications supports the purpose of the University of South Carolina by transforming the lives of the people of South Carolina, the nation and the world through teaching, research, creative activity, and community engagement. We strive to produce graduates and knowledge that strengthen global and diverse communities and promote democratic participation in an information society.
Our strategic plan for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion comports with the University’s Strategic Priority 4: To cultivate a more diverse, equitable and inclusive campus culture, where every individual, regardless of background, has the full opportunity to flourish and thrive. Our plan is also consistent with the accrediting bodies of the two units that comprise the College — the School of Information Science, accredited by the American Library Association, and the School of Journalism and Mass Communications, accredited by the Accrediting Council for Education in Journalism and Mass Communications.
DIVERSE: IMPROVE THE RELATIVE RACIAL/ETHNIC AND GENDER REPRESENTATION OF OUR STUDENT BODY, STAFF AND FACULTY.
- Align student population with diversity of our state
- Ensure professional/administrative staff reflects diversity of our state
- Transform full-time faculty to be in closer alignment with diversity of student body
EQUITY: ENSURE THAT THERE IS EQUITY FOR ALL STUDENTS AND STAFF AND FACULTY MEMBERS ACROSS KEY MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Improve academic outcomes for underrepresented students
- Ensure transparent, better and more equitable outcomes for all staff
- Ensure transparent, better and more equitable outcomes for all faculty
INCLUSIVE: CREATE, PROMOTE, SUPPORT AND ASSESS A CAMPUS CULTURE/ CLIMATE THAT EMBODIES OUR CAROLINIAN CREED AND MAKES EVERY MEMBER OF OUR COLLEGE COMMUNITY FEEL THAT THEY ARE VALUED AND AFFIRMED.
- Increase engagement of entire campus community
- Improve sense of inclusion and belonging for everyone