Darla Moore School of Business Master's Hooding Ceremony
Thursday, May 4 | 9:30 a.m. | Historic Horseshoe, USC-Columbia Campus
- The 2023 Spring Hooding Ceremony is for all Darla Moore School of Business master’s programs. All students graduating in May or August 2023 are invited to participate in the hooding ceremony.
- Advance registration is required. Register online by Friday, April 21, at 5 p.m.
- There will be a reception immediately following the hooding ceremony in the courtyard of the Moore School.
- View the Hooding program online
Information for Master's Students
The 2023 Spring Hooding Ceremony is for all Darla Moore School of Business master’s programs, including Master of Accountancy, Master of Science in Business Analytics, Master of Economics, Master of International Business, MBA and Professional MBA. All master's students graduating in December are invited to participate.
Wendy Thomas, Chief Executive Officer for Secureworks
As CEO, Wendy Thomas ('98 International MBA) leads Secureworks to fulfill their purpose of securing human progress via innovative, battle-tested security solutions.
Thomas leverages more than 25 years of experience in strategic and functional leadership roles, including as chief financial officer, chief product officer, and vice president of strategy and mergers and acquisitions.
She has worked across multiple technology-driven companies such as FirstData, BellSouth and Internap Network Services, Inc. Prior to becoming CEO, Wendy served as Secureworks president for customer success, a role where she drove a customer-centric approach to help organizations achieve better security outcomes.
Thomas is a graduate of the University of Virginia, where she double-majored in economics and foreign affairs, and she holds an International MBA from the University of South Carolina Darla Moore School of Business. She currently serves on the Board of Directors for IonQ, an industry leader in quantum computing.
The hooding ceremony will be livestreamed.
The hooding ceremony will last approximately one and a half hours. A reception will immediately follow in the courtyard of the Moore School.
Limit of six guests per graduate. Guests must be registered in advance. Students are responsible for registering any guests when they register themselves.
Guest Limitation: Please note that students are only allowed six guests who pre-registered to attend with your program manager. Your program managers will have a list of students who have registered to attend.
FREE parking for our hooding ceremony guest is available at these locations:
- Pendleton Street Garage, 1501 Pendleton Street (Levels 1A, 1B and 2A)
- Sumter Street Garage, 501 Sumter Street
- Innovista Parking Garage, 821 Park Street
- Surface Lots close to the Moore School and Colonial Life Arena
Link to: Interactive USC map for locating parking lots
All parking areas are at least half a block away and there are other events in the area, so please allow ample time for parking and walking.
- If you need to drop off a guest, please do so at 902 Sumter Street.
- Graduates walking in the Moore School Hooding and the university ceremonies are required
to wear the black graduate robe, the business school hood in drab* and the cap with
*Master of Science in Business Analytics students will wear gold hoods and gold tassels.
- Regalia orders can be placed online. If you have questions about any additional graduation supplies, you should contact the bookstore directly at 803-777-4160.
- Attire: Business professional. Dark pants and dress shoes preferred. Dresses worn under graduation robes can be any color.
- Students need to report to the Russell House Ballroom (2nd floor) no later than 8:15 a.m. Staff will provide additional instructions about the ceremony at that time. Prior to the procession, students will gather for a class photo. After the photo, graduates will be arranged in a line in the lobby in alphabetical order for the procession. People who are late may miss instructions and/or photos. Families should proceed directly to the Horseshoe.
- Tassels should be worn on the left quarter of your cap.
- Each graduate will receive an index card in the ready room.
- Please make sure to pick up your card and hold onto it. (You will give it to the reader to call your name at the ceremony).
- If your name is incorrect on your card, we will have blank cards available for you to write your name correctly.
- If your name is difficult to pronounce, you should either rewrite your name on the card phonetically or whisper your name to the reader as you approach.
- Deans and faculty lead the procession to the Horseshoe. Graduates should fill in the rows in an orderly fashion. A staff member will be standing at the seats to guide you. Do not leave empty seats.
- At the appropriate time during the ceremony, the class will be asked to rise by row.
- Participants from the first row will be called forward. Remaining participants should remain seated until directed by one of the staff members assisting with the ceremony. The person at the end of the row will stand, and everyone else should follow to the stage.
- As you approach the stage, present your card to the reader for your name to be announced. Your academic program administrator and Interim Dean Jan Bass will then take your hood from your arm. You should turn and face the audience while you are being hooded. There may be a button inside the hood with a string attached. Make sure this string is unbuttoned or the hood will not go over your head.
- Do not rush onto the stage as you are being hooded. There will be a photographer taking individual pictures of each graduate. Pause after being hooded to get your photo taken. Please provide adequate space after each graduate as hooding proceeds.
- If your cap is knocked off during the ceremony, maintain your composure and wait to place it back on your head until after you have returned to your seat.
- At the end of the ceremony, music will begin for the recession. Please leave adequate space between you and your classmate as you leave the seating area. Please follow the faculty onto the sidewalk to allow students to meet their family members.
- During the hooding ceremony, photos will be taken by a university photographer. You will receive a link with access to all of the photos taken during the ceremony within one week of the event.
- Diplomas will be mailed to your permanent address approximately 90 days after graduation. Be sure to check your permanent address in my.sc.edu to ensure it is accurate.
Darla Moore School of Business Commencement (for graduating seniors)
Friday, May 5 | 3 p.m. | Colonial Life Arena, Columbia S.C.
- Get all the details on parking, tickets and seating, photography and more
- Livestreaming of the ceremony will be available on sc.edu/commencement just before the ceremony begins