If you are interested in applying to the Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) program at the University of South Carolina, you will apply online using the Physical Therapist Centralized Application Service (PTCAS).
- Students applying to the program must have an earned baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution.
- Overall undergraduate GPA (or approved Master’s GPA) and GPA for prerequisite courses are considered in the admissions decision.
- In addition, the program requires:
- GRE scores (verbal, quantitative, and writing)
- Two letters of reference from individuals familiar with the applicant’s clinical and/or academic skills (a physical therapist and a professor who knows your academic performance are recommended)
- A writing sample
- Admissions interviews are not required.
- Volunteer hours are not required but are encouraged. Fifty (50) hours are recommended.
- For more details, see PTCAS application requirements
Our minimum requirements are a: 1) 3.0 GPA (prerequisite), 2) 3.0 GPA (undergraduate or approved relevant masters), 3) no less than 146 on each section of the GRE with a 3.5 or greater on the writing score. If you apply with scores below this, your file will not be reviewed for admission. Note that this is our minimal requirements, please see the program summary for our average admission scores.
The deadline for all application materials is October 3, 2022. Applications received after the deadline will not be reviewed.
Learn more about the PTCAS application process and admissions requirements.
The program’s admissions process ensures that admitted students have the background to succeed. Admission to the DPT program requires that students have obtained a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
In addition, all students enrolled in the program are required to have successfully completed selected prerequisite coursework prior to enrollment, including those listed below. An in-depth list of prerequisites is available on the PTCAS site. . Any applications with outstanding fall semester prerequisite courses must complete a scoring update in the PTCAS system once grades are available in order to be considered for admission. See PTCAS academic update instructions for more information.
|Biology||8||Must include lab, one must be a general biology|
|Chemistry||8||Must include lab|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology||8||8 hours of Anatomy and Physiology; can be 8 hours of combined Anatomy and Physiology or 4 hours of Anatomy and 4 hours of Physiology|
|Physics||8||Must include lab|