Maternal, Infant, and Child Nutrition
Preventing Childhood Obesity
Cutting Edge Research
Researchers in the Consortium work to understand how nutritional components interact with a variety of contexts, including political, physical, economic, and social structures.
|Dr. Turner-McGrievy (PI)
||Targeting important behaviors for weight loss through the use of social gaming and points: The Social Pounds Off Digitally (Social POD) study||NIH/NIDDK
|This project will examine if adding points/gamifying a weight loss intervention produces greater sustained weight loss and social support than the same intervention without points. The goal of the Social POD app is to facilitate social support and weight loss through social gaming with points. This study will test an entirely remotely-delivered behavioral intervention that has the ability to be scaled up so that reach of this treatment approach is broad.|
|Dr. Turner-McGrievy (PI)
||Ensuring the cultural relevance of Dietary Guidelines diet patterns among African Americans: Increasing dietary quality and reducing type 2 diabetes risk||NIH/NIDDK
|The goal of this project is to use a two-stepped study to examine both the adoption of the three dietary patterns as presented by the United States Dietary Guidelines and testing of a refined, culturally-tailored one-year intervention examining the three diet patterns among African American adult participants with overweight/obesity and ≥three type 2 diabetes (T2DM) risk factors.|
|Dr. Turner-McGrievy (PI)
Dr. Frongillo (Co-I)
|A nutrition-based approach to reduce heart disease risk among overweight African Americans: Use of soul food plant-based or omnivorous diets to address cardiovascular disease||NIH/NHLBI
|Using a randomized design, this project will examine the effect of adopting two different dietary patterns (vegan and omnivorous), which focus on southern cuisine, on both cardiovascular disease risk factors and weight loss among overweight African American adults. The project partners with local community restaurants to help inform intervention and recipe development.|
|Dr. Thrasher (PI)
Dr. Davis (PI)
Dr. Frongillo (Co-I)
|Evaluating nutrition labeling policy changes in the US and Mexico||NIH/NIDDK
|Use interrupted time series design with surveys in Mexico and the US, including an oversample of Mexican Americans, to evaluate Mexico’s innovative front of package food labeling policy.|
|Dr. Larson (PI)||Integrated psychosocial, nutritional, and health intervention to improve early child development in Liberia||ASPIRE-I, Advanced Support for Innovative Research Excellence||A feasibility study of an integrated psychosocial, nutritional, and health intervention in Liberian children 6-36 months and their caregivers. The study has two specific objectives: 1) demonstrate the target population’s potential to benefit from the intervention and 2) demonstrate the feasibility and acceptability of the intervention. Qualitative and quantitative data will be used to refine and adapt the intervention and address our research objectives.|
|Dr. Larson (PI)||The influence of hepcidin on benefits and risks of iron supplementation in Bangladeshi children||Thrasher Research Fund Early Career Award||The goal of this study is to examine the role of hepcidin concentration on children’s response to iron and micronutrient supplementation in Bangladesh.|
|Dr. Frongillo (PI)||Linkages between nutritional outcomes and food and nutrition security||USDA—Research, Education, and Economics||Create a new conceptual model of food and nutrition security based on a detailed and thorough literature review|
|Dr. Pate (PI)
Dr. Frongillo (Co-I)
|Understanding Community Obesity Initiatives and Informing Tailored Community Interventions to Reduce Childhood Obesity||NIH/NIDDK
|The major goals of this project are to identify, within groups of communities, schools, families, and children, stratified by race/ethnicity and by socioeconomic status, attributes of community programs and policies that associate with children’s diet, physical activity, and weight status.|
|Dr. Frongillo (PI)||Intersection of Material-Need Insecurities and HIV and Cardiovascular Health||NIH/NHLBI
|Investigate the joint effects of food, housing, financial, and healthcare insecurities on cardiovascular health.|
|Dr. Frongillo (Co-I)||Pilot Study of the Nutrition-Enhanced Wellness for Diabetes Self-Management Program (NEW-DSMP) among Low-Income Adults with Type II Diabetes||NIH/NIDDK
|Investigate the feasibility, acceptability and preliminary impact of a novel, multicomponent diabetes health intervention.|
|Dr. Frongillo (Co-I)||Food is Medicine: Randomized Trial of Medically Tailored Food Support for Diabetes Health||NIH/NIDDK
|Test efficacy of medically tailored food support for T2DM health with intervention providing 6 months of medically tailored meals and groceries plus nutritional education to low-income adults receiving care from safety-net clinics.|
|Dr. Frongillo (PI)||Developing Guidance for RCTs in Agriculture, Nutrition and Health||BMGF||Develop and disseminate guidance for conducting and reporting complex randomized control trials on agriculture, nutrition, and health.|
|Dr. Frongillo (Co-I)||Multi-Sectoral Agricultural Intervention to Improve Nutrition, Health, and Developmental Outcomes of HIV-infected and Affected Children in Western Kenya||NIH
|Determine the impact of an agricultural intervention on the nutrition, health, and neurobehavioral development of HIV-affected children in Kenya.|
|Dr. Frongillo (PI)||Monitoring, Learning, and Evaluation Leadership, Guidance, and Support to the Alive & Thrive Project||BMGF
|Provide guidance and leadership to evaluation of programs in multiple countries promoting infant and young child feeding at large scale.|
|Dr. Pate (PI)
Dr. Frongillo (Co-I)
|Physical Activity, Sedentary Behavior and Weight Status in Early Childhood||NIH/NICHD
|This study will describe physical activity and sedentary behaviors and examine the longitudinal influences of those behaviors on weight status in a cohort of infants and toddlers, ages 6 months to 36 months.|
|Dr. Liese (PI)
Dr. Frongillo (Co-I)
|Impact of disparities in food security on glycemic control and health care utilization among youth and young adults with diabetes||NIH/NIDDK
|Examine food insecurity and its association with glycemic control, dietary intake, physical activity, glucose monitoring/self- management and hospitalizations among youth and young adults with type 1 diabetes.|
Dr. Blake (PI)
Dr. Frongillo (Co-PI)
|Drivers of Food Choice Program||BMGF/FCDO||The purpose of the Drivers of Food Choice program is to facilitate, synthesize and disseminate research to provide a deep understanding of the drivers of food choice among the poor in developing countries. DFC projects also aim to strengthen country-level leadership in nutrition and foster a global community of food choice researchers.|
- Afshar N, Hodge AM, Shivappa N, Hebert JR, et al. Dietary Inflammatory Index, Alternative Healthy Eating Index-2010, Mediterranean Diet Score and the risk of pancreatic cancer. Cancer Epidemiology. 82, 102295.
- Brazendale K, Gurnurkar S, Hunt ET, Burkart S, Armstrong B, Weaver RG, Beets MW, Sikder A, McClean C. Free Summer Day Camp to Address Childhood Obesity: Is There Demand? Childhood Obesity. http://doi.org/10.1089/chi.2022.0181
- Cohen CR, Weke E, Frongillo EA, et al. Effect of a Multisectoral Agricultural Intervention on HIV Health Outcomes Among Adults in Kenya: A Cluster Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Netw Open. 2022;5(12):e2246158. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2022.46158
- Drew SD, Blake CE, Reyes LI, Gonzalez W, Monterrosa EC. Attributes of parenting identities and food practices among parents in Nairobi, Kenya. Appetite. 180, 106370.
- Everett EM, Wright D, Williams A, Divers J, Pihoker C, Liese AD, et al. A Longitudinal View of Disparities in Insulin Pump Use Among Youth with Type 1 Diabetes: The SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study. Diabetes Technol Ther. 2022;10.1089/dia.2022.0340. doi:10.1089/dia.2022.0340
- Lane AD, Lewis, CE, Gunderson EP. Adverse pregnancy outcomes – the missing link in discovering the role of lactation in CVD prevention. Journal of the American Heart Assoc. 2022 Oct 17:e027707. doi: 10.1161/JAHA.122.027707.
- Lane AD, Catov J, Jones MA., Barone Gibbs B. Patterns in Prenatal Physical Activity and Sedentary Behavior: Associations With Blood Pressure and Placental Features in the MoMHealth Cohort. Journal of Physical Activity and Health. 2022 Sep 1;19(10):658-665. 2022. https://doi.org/10.1123/jpah.2021-0585.
- Mandelbaum J & Harrison SE. (2022). Perceived challenges to implementing childhood obesity prevention strategies in pediatric primary care. SSM – Qualitative Research in Health. 2(December 2022). doi: 10.1016/j.ssmqr.2022.100185.
- Mandelbaum J & Harrison SE. Primary Care Clinicians' Perceived Role in Addressing Childhood Obesity in the Southern United States. Southern Medical Journal. 2022 Nov;115(11):824-830. DOI: 10.14423/smj.0000000000001468. PMID: 36318948.
- McFadden B, Bozzini B, Cintineo H, Hills S, Walker A, Chandler A, Sanders D, Russell, M, Arent S. Power, endurance, and body composition changes over a collegiate career in NCAA division 1 women soccer athletes. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research.
- Nassiri-Mofakham F, Huhns MN. Role of culture in water resources management via sustainable social automated negotiation. Socio-Economic Planning Sciences. 101465.
- Wilcox S, Dahl AA, Boutté AK, Liu J, Day K, Turner-McGrievy G, Wingard E. Process evaluation methods and results from the Health in Pregnancy and Postpartum (HIPP) randomized controlled trial. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 22, 794 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12884-022-05107-x
- Wilcox S, Liu J, Turner-McGrievy GM, Boutte AK, Wingard E. Effects of a behavioral intervention on physical activity, diet, and health-related quality of life in pregnant women with elevated weight: results of the HIPP randomized controlled trial. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 19, 145 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12966-022-01387-w
- Young SL, Bethancourt HJ, Ritter ZR, Frongillo EA. (2022). Estimating national, demographic, and socioeconomic disparities in water insecurity experiences in low-income and middle-income countries in 2020–21: a cross-sectional, observational study using nationally representative survey data. The Lancet Planetary Health. 6:11.
- Zheng J, Tabung FK, Zhang J, Caan B, Hebert JR, Kroenke CH, Ockene J, Shivappa N, Steck SE. Association between dietary inflammatory potential and mortality after cancer diagnosis in the Women’s Health Initiative. Br J Cancer (2022). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41416-022-02079-9
American Society for Nutrition 2022
- Alexandra Pepetone, Edward Frongillo, Michael Wallace, David Hammond, Sharon Kirkpatrick. Household Food Insecurity in Middle- and High-Income Countries Before and During the COVID-19 Pandemic.Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 6, Issue Supplement_1, June 2022, Page 155, https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzac051.071
- Bezawit Eyob Kase, Angela Liese, Jiajia Zhang, E Angela Murphy, Longgang Zhao, Susan Steck. The Development and Evaluation of a Literature-Based Dietary Index for Gut Microbiota. Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 6, Issue Supplement_1, June 2022, Page 371, https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzac054.026
- Bezawit Eyob Kase, Leila Larson, Edward Frongillo, Wendy Gonzalez, Irowa Erhabor, Eric Djimeu. Effectiveness of the Eggs Make Kids Demand-Creation Campaign to Improve Household Availability of Eggs and Egg Consumption in Young Children in Nigeria. Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 6, Issue Supplement_1, June 2022, Page 669, https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzac061.053
- Brittany Crawford, Dale Sandler, Anwar Merchant, Susan Steck, Yong-Moon Park, Dietary Patterns, Socioeconomic Status, and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes in the Sister Study. Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 6, Issue Supplement_1, June 2022, Page 7, https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzac047.007.
- Brittany Crawford, Dale Sandler, Hazel Nichols, Ginger Milne, Susan Steck, Yong-Moon Park. Association Between Healthy Dietary Patterns and Markers of Oxidative Stress.Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 6, Issue Supplement_1, June 2022, Page 355, https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzac054.010
- Elizabeth Adams, Melanie Bean, Roddrick Dugger, Tegwyn Brickhouse. Patterns of Food Security and Dietary Intake Among Children Across the U.S. Child Tax Credit Expansion. Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 6, Issue Supplement_1, June 2022, Page 188, https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzac048.002
- Hilary Bethancourt, Edward Frongillo, Sara Viviani, Carlo Cafiero, Sera Young. Household Water Insecurity Is Positively Associated With Household Food Insecurity in Low- and Middle-Income Countries. Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 6, Issue Supplement_1, June 2022, Page 549, https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzac060.007
- Hope Bercaw, Andrea Brown, Beth Reboussin, Jason Mendoza, Edward Frongillo, Katherine Sauder, Anna Bellatorre, Amy Shah, Tiffany Luong, Santica Marcovina, Angela Liese. Health-Related Social Needs and Diet Quality in Youth and Young Adults with Youth-Onset Type 1 Diabetes: Cross-Sectional Findings From the SEARCH Food Security Cohort Study. Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 6, Issue Supplement_1, June 2022, Page 885, https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzac067.005
- Sejla Isanovic, Edward Frongillo, Shilpa Constantinides, Shiva Bhandari, Samin Sharraf, Emma Kenney, Christine Blake. Perspectives about Food Safety in Diverse Low- and Middle-income Countries. Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 6, Issue Supplement_1, June 2022, Page 488, https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzac059.016
- Shiny Drew, Christine Blake, Eva Monterrosa, Krystal Rampalli, Abdullah Nurus Salam Khan, Ligia Reyes, Salome Bukachi, Mariah Ngutu, Edward Frongillo, Elyse Iruhiriye, Amy Girard, Paula Dominguez-Salas. How Schwartz’ Basic Human Values Influence Food Choices in Kenya and Tanzania. Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 6, Issue Supplement_1, June 2022, Page 479, https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzac059.007
American Diabetes Association 2022
- Andrea D. Brown, Jason A. Mendoza, Edward A. Frongillo, Kate Flory, Beth A. Reboussin, Elizabeth T. Jensen, Lawrence M. Dolan, Anna Bellatorre, Faisal Malik, Santica M. Marcovina, Catherine Pihoker, Angela D. Liese; 570-P: Household Food Insecurity, Stress, and Anxiety among Youth and Young Adults with Diabetes. Diabetes1 June 2022; 71 (Supplement_1): 570–P. https://doi.org/10.2337/db22-570-P
- Katherine A. Sauder, Deborah H. Glueck, Kylie K. Harrall, Ralph Dagostino, Lawrence M. Dolan, Abbi Lane-Cordova, Angela D. Liese, Eva Lustigova, Faisal Malik, Santica M. Marcovina, Elizabeth J. Mayer-Davis, Amy K. Mottl, Catherine Pihoker, Kristi Reynolds, Amy S. Shah, Elaine M. Urbina, Lynne E. Wagenknecht, Stephen R. Daniels, Dana Dabelea; 1085-P: Exploring Racial And Ethnic Disparities In Arterial Stiffness In Type 1 Diabetes. Diabetes1 June 2022; 71 (Supplement_1): 1085–P. Https://Doi.Org/10.2337/Db22-1085-P
American Association for Cancer Research 2022
- Longgang Zhao, Lina Jin, Jessica L. Petrick, Fenglei Wang, Tang Li, Hongmei Zeng, Stephanie A. Smith-Warner, A. Heather Eliassen, Fang Fang Zhang, Peter T. Campbell, Edward Giovannucci, Linda M. Liao, Susan E. Steck, Katherine A. McGlynn, Xuehong Zhang; Abstract 730: Fruit and vegetable consumption and risk of liver cancer and liver disease mortality: A prospective cohort study. Cancer Res15 June 2022; 82 (12_Supplement): 730. https://doi.org/10.1158/1538-7445.AM2022-730
Agriculture, Nutrition, and Health Academy Week 2022
- “Food choice decision-making in the context of changing livelihoods in low- and middle-income countries” By Krystal Rampalli, Sharraf Samin, Emma Kenney, Shiva Bhandari, Ligia I. Reyes, Abdullah N.S. Khan, Edward A. Frongillo, Christine E. Blake. ANH Academy Week 2022. (Poster prize winner).
American Society for Nutrition 2021
- Alhabas M, Frongillo EA, Blake CE, Fram M, Sahyoun N. Understanding Food Insecurity Resilience of Refugee Families in the United States. Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 5, Issue Supplement_2, June 2021, Page 96.
- Armendariz G, Frongillo EA, Reyes LI, Bonveccho A, Blake CE. Role of Alternative Caregivers in Food Choices for Young Children in Semi-urban and Urban Mexico. Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 5, Issue Supplement_2, June 2021, Page 959
- Constantinides SV, Blake CE, Frongillo EA, Thow AM, Avula R, Liese A. The Role of Stakeholder Framing in Nutrition Agenda-Setting to Address the Double Burden of Malnutrition in Tamil Nadu, India.Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 5, Issue Supplement_2, June 2021, Page 637, https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzab045_019
- Constantinides SV, Bhandari S, Kenney E, Frongillo EA, Blake CE. Perspectives on Food Safety and Their Influence on Food Choice in Low- and Middle-Income Countries. Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 5, Issue Supplement_2, June 2021, Page 550.
- Frongillo EA - V. McCollum International Lectureships in Nutrition - How and Why Did Food Insecurity of Households and Individuals Become So Important? Nutrition 2021 Live Online Award Lecture.
- Jensen ML, González W, Bolaños C, Monge R, Frongillo EA. Implementation of a regulatory food policy to reduce availability of energy-dense foods in Costa Rican high schools. Public Health Nutrition doi:10.1017/S1368980021003013
- Larson L, Feuerriegel D, Hasan MI, Jin J, Braat S, Shiraji S, Tofail F, Biggs B-A, Pasricha S-R, Hamadani J, Johnson K, Bode S. Effects of Supplementation With Iron Syrup or Iron-Containing Multiple Micronutrient Powders on Neural Indices of Cognitive Functioning in Bangladeshi Children.Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 5, Issue Supplement_2, June 2021, Page 656
- Rampalli K, Blake CE, Frongillo EA, Erickson K, Laar A. Perspectives of Urban Ghanaian Adolescents on Healthy Eating Habits.Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 5, Issue Supplement_2, June 2021, Page 564
- Reyes LI, Bhandari S, Constantinides SV, Frongillo EA, Blake CE. Recommended Actions in Global Nutrition Initiatives That Link Food Environment and Food Choice. Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 5, Issue Supplement_2, June 2021, Page 565
- Zhao L, Tyson N, Liu J, Hébert J, Steck S. Trends in Dietary Supplement Use Among US Adults Between 2009 and 2018.Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 5, Issue Supplement_2, June 2021, Page 701
American Diabetes Association 2021
- Lauren Reid, Alice Ellyson, Faisal Malik, Beth Reboussin, Marco Geraci, Anwar T. Merchant, Santica Marcovina, Eva Lustigova, Jason Mendoza. Food Insecurity and Glycemic Control Among Youth and Young Adults with Type 2 Diabetes. Oral Presentation at the 2021 American Diabetes Association Meeting.
- Hope D. Bercaw, Lauren A. Reid, Angela D. Liese, Edward A. Frongillo, Katherine A. Sauder, Jason A. Mendoza, Beth A. Reboussin, Elizabeth J. Mayer-Davis, Dana Dabelea, Santica M. Marcovina, Carla Mercado. Food insecurity and dietary intake adequacy in youth and young adults with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Poster Presentation at the 2021 American Diabetes Association Meeting.
- Angela Liese, Dana Dabelea, Lawrence Dolan, Leora Henkin, Elizabeth Jensen, Santica Marcovina, Anwar Merchant, Catherine Pihoker, Beth Reboussin, Amy Shah, Allison Shapiro, Greta Wilkening, Jason Mendoza. Household Food Insecurity and Cognitive Function in Youth and Young Adults with Type 1 Diabetes. Poster Presentation at the 2021 American Diabetes Association Meeting.
- A Danielle Brown, Anna Bellatorre, Lawrence Dolan, Elizabeth Jensen, Faisal Malik, Santica Marcovina, Jason Mendoz. Unmet social needs and depressive symptomatology among youth and young adults with type 1 diabetes. Poster Presentation at the 2021 American Diabetes Association Meeting.
American Public Health Association 2020
- "Building the capacity of South Carolina community pharmacies to intervene on the
social determinants of health" - Indira Gutierrez, BA, Alexandra Scott, BS, Healther McKenzie McNabb, Trista Pfeiffenberger, Brian Clark,
Deborah Bowers, Patrick Brown, Troy Trygstad and Spencer Moore, PhD
- "Does prenatal physical activity modify the association between prenatal stress and
postpartum depression?" - Sabrina Karim, MBBS, MPH, PhD(c), Zaixiao Zhang, MD, MPH, Chelsea Richard, MSPH,
PhD(c), Matthew Lohman, PhD, MHS and Jihong Liu, ScD
- "Examining the relationship between perceived neighborhood characteristics and physical activity behavior among Asian Americans in an urban environment" - Aisha Bhimla, MPH, David B. Sarwer, PhD, Levent Dumenci, PhD, Lois A. Butcher- Poffley, MEd, PhD, Kevin A. Henry, PhD, Andrew T. Kaczynski, PhD and Grace X. Ma, PhD
- "Identifying targets for health promotion efforts designed to reduce food insecurity" - Milen Embaye, MPH, Darcy Freedman, MPH, PhD, David Ngendahimana, MS, PhD, Bethany Bell, PhD, MPH, Hannah Zaim, MPH, Ashley Banks, MPH and Deena Chisolm, PhD
- "Implementing diabetes and heart disease education and management programs in high-burden, underserved South Carolina counties" - Jennifer Mandelbaum, MPH, Kristian Myers, MPH, CHES, Tramaine McMullen, MPH, PhD, Courtney Brightharp, MPH and Kelly Kavanaugh, MPH, CHES
- "Movers and churners: Residential relocation and enrollment discontinuity in a state Medicaid system" - John Stewart, PhD, MPH, Janice Probst, PhD, Ana Lopez De Fede, PhD, Sudha Xirasagar, MBBS, PhD and James W. Hardin, PhD
- "Severe maternal morbidity and poor birth outcomes are interconnected: A call for a paradigm shift" - Hoa Nguyen, PhD, Sarah Gareau, DrPH, MCHES and Ana Lopez De Fede, PhD
- "The national physical activity plan: A framework for pursuing the physical activity guidelines for americans" - Russell Pate, PhD
American Society for Nutrition 2020
- Bhandari S, Frongillo E, Suwal R, Gupta AS, Tiwari NP, Cunningham K. Sustaining Agriculture-Nutrition Interventions: Analysis of Determinants of Village Model Farmer Active Engagement in Nepal. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):811-811. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa053_016.
- Iruhiriye E, Olney D, Frongillo E. Coherence Among Sectors and Stakeholders Differentiates Districts in Rwanda That Did and Did Not Improve Child Stunting. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):845-845. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa053_050.
- Jackson E, Liese A, Pihoker C, et al. Association Between Household Food Security and Disordered Eating Behaviors Among Young Adults with Diabetes: The SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):1419-1419. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa061_047.
- Martínez-Jaikel T, Jr. EF, Blake C, Fram M, Murillo-Castro A, Esquivel-Solís V. Promoting Co-Responsibility in the Household and Self-Care Through an Intervention for Food-Insecure Women with Excess Body Weight in Costa Rica. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):236-236. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa043_087.
- Mendes FDC, Thawer S, Shivappa N, Hebert JR, Burney PGJ, Garcia-Larsen V. Dietary Inflammatory Index (DII®) and Lung Function in Adults from Ten European Countries – Evidence from the GA2LEN Follow-Up Survey. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):1393-1393. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa061_021.
- Monalisa N, Frongillo E, Blake C, Steck S, Dipietro R. Food-Choice Values of Elementary School Children and Strategies Used to Influence Mothers’ Food Purchasing Decisions. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):720-720. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa051_017.
- Nguyen H, Frongillo E, Fram M. Adolescent Students Experiencing Hunger Consume Less Healthy Diets: Evidence from
the Global School-Based Student Health Survey in 95 Countries. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):873-873. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa053_078.
- Reyes L, Frongillo E, Blake C, Moore S, Gonzalez W, Bonvecchio A. Role of Social Networks in Maternal Food Choice for Children Ages 1 to 5 Years Old
in Rural Mexico. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):897-897. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa053_102.
- Turner D, Krisanits B, Frye C, Nogueira L, Schuster R, Ford M, Omonefe O, Steck S, Peterson L, Lilly M, Thomas C, Ahmed M, Findlay V. Consumption of Dietary Advanced Glycation End Products Promotes Prostate Tumor Growth
by Creating a Tumor Enhancing Stromal Microenvironment. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):359-359. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa044_058.
- Warren A, Constantinides S, Frongillo E, Blake C. Stakeholder Engagement Strategies for Policy and Programmatic Uptake: Lessons from the Drivers of Food Choice Competitive Grants Program. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2020;4(Supplement_2):920-920. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzaa053_125.
American Association for Cancer Research 2020
- Adams SA, Truman SC, Babatunde O, Felder TM, Eberth JM, Heiney SP, Alvarado CR, Hebert JR. South Carolina's National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program narrows
the gap in South Carolina breast cancer disparities. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP18-B008.
- Aguilar DR, Steck SE, Lin H-Y, Su L. Dietary folate and prostate cancer tumor aggressiveness differences between African
Americans and European Americans. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP19-PR14.
- Alvarado CR, Truman SC, Babatunde O, Heiney SP, Escareno JM, Adams SA. The mediating effect of hormone therapy compliance in the relationship between race
and survival among breast cancer patients in South Carolina: A causal mediation analysis. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP18-C019.
- Babatunde OA, Adams SA, Eberth JM, Felder TM, Moran R, Truman SC, Alvarado CR, Hebert JR. Effect modifiers of surgery and adjuvant hormone treatment delays among patients diagnosed
with breast cancer in South Carolina. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP18-B075.
- Blinka M, Cromo M, Houston JF, Dignan M, Vanderford N, Evers BM, Bowie J, Dobs A, Hebert JR, Felder T, Anderson R. Results to date: Efforts to increase cancer health disparities training in Geographic
Management of Cancer Health Disparities Program Region 1 North. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP18-A068.
- Felder TM, Heiney SP, Rubin L, Friedman DB, Franco R, Hebert JR, Ford ME. “ ‘She was like, “I'm done. I'm not taking this anymore’ ”: Health care provider perspectives
about breast cancer survivors' nonadherence to adjuvant endocrine therapy. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP18-A069.
- Heiney SP, Truman SC, Babatunde O, Alvarado CR, Adams SA. An investigation of travel distances for breast cancer treatment among a racially
and socioeconomically diverse cohort. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP18-B012.
- Omofuma OO, Steck SE, Troester M, Olshan A. Meat and fish intake and the risk of breast cancer in the Carolina Breast Cancer Study
(CBCS). Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP18-C043.
- Omofuma OO, Turner DP, Peterson LL, Merchant AT, Zhang J, Steck SE. Dietary advanced glycation end-products (AGEs) and risk of breast cancer in the Prostate,
Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian Cancer Screening Trial (PLCO). Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP19-C033.
- Peres LC, Hebert JR, Qin B, Guertin KA, Bandera EV, Shivappa N, et. al. Dietary inflammatory potential prior to diagnosis and risk of all-cause mortality
among African-American women with ovarian carcinoma. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi:10.1158/1538-7755.DISP18-C044.
- Ranganathan R, Hung P, Adams SA, Hair NL, Bailey SS. Legislation by states and its impact on factors causing divergence in HPV vaccination
coverage: Analysis of 2013-2017 National Immunization Survey - Teens (NIS-TEENS). Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention. 2020. doi: 10.1158/1538-7755.DISP19-A123.
- Truman SC, Babatunde O, Alvarado CR, Heiney SP, Sellner JE, Reiss KE, Adams SA. Predictors of nonadherence to adjuvant hormonal therapy among breast cancer patients. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention.2020. doi: 10.1158/1538-7755.DISP18-B016.
Policy and Practice Briefs
The Consortium was established in 2003 with a mission to create a local, state-wide, national, and global presence that establishes the University as a national leader in nutrition by engaging with community partners, other research institutions, public agencies, and professional organizations. Through this series, the Consortium provides objective, thoughtful analysis on current nutrition-related policy and practice issues from a public interest perspective.
Nutrition Related Professional Organizations and Associations
- American Society for Nutrition (ASN)
- Agriculture, Nutrition & Health Academy (ANH)
- American Public Health Association (APHA)
- International Society for Behavioral Nutrition & Physical Activity (ISBNPA)
- International Society of Sports Nutrition (ISSN)
- Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior (SNEB)